Taisen's Simple Yams. Baked Sweet Potatoes with Raisins and Pecans Baked Sweet Potatoes with Raisins and Pecans. This was a very east dish to prepare but if you're going to cook it in one layer of cubed sweet potatoes like the recipe says be prepared to use two pans or get only three sweet potatoes. I must have chosen enormous potatoes because.
However, if you're looking for southern or soul food style candied yams, this is the recipe that you want. What Americans call yams are actually a variety of sweet potato. Fragrant sweet potatoes layered with Granny Smith apples and topped with a sweet mixture of brown sugar and raisins make this a great recipe for all holidays, but best for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You can have Taisen's Simple Yams using 5 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Taisen's Simple Yams
- It’s 2 of big cans of yams.
- It’s 1 of brown sugar.
- You need 1 of butter.
- You need 1 of honey.
- You need 1 small of or big marshmallows.
Boil the brown sugar, water, butter and raisins. Once the sugar is fully melted and the mixture has a good boil add the brandy and remove from heat. Then add a layer of the small marshmallows on top of the yams (may add sliced almonds to your liking). Combine syrup, butter, raisins, cinnamon and marshmallows.
Taisen's Simple Yams preparations
- pre heat oven to 350.
- open cans of yams. drain a little more then half the juice.
- in a disposable tin baking pan or a regular baking casserole dish add yams.
- add teaspoons of butter around some areas . middle and sides.
- sprinkle brown sugar all over the yams. don't worry if there are small clumps..
- drizzle honey all over the yams.
- cover with foil and bake about 30 minutes.
- pull it out. stir them up trying not to mash or break the yams.
- cover the whole top with marshmallows.
- put back into the oven uncovered. keep checking. once the marshmallows are a bit golden in color they are done. pull them out..
- serve with dinner right away or let cool and cover. once cooled put in the fridge for serving later. just re heat covered so the marshmallows don't burn. serve and enjoy.
Heat over medium stirring till marshmallows melt. Yes Rosie~The Best EVER Candied Yams!!! I've tried numerous yam recipes over the years, and this was the BOMB!!! Last year, this recipe was a big hit in our home. I had a family member ask what was in it, so I told him the ingredients, his response was, that was the best yam dish he ever tasted & he hates marshmallows but loved your recipe.